Nootropics is a term that came about in 1972 as research was being carried out on smart drugs and how they can help people function at a higher level. The first cognitive enhancing drug was a stimulant-based drug that was marketed as a treatment for narcolepsy by helping a person to stay mentally alert, focused and motivated so they did not feel the common symptoms associated with their condition. Over the years, much research has been carried out, allowing health experts to better understand how these drugs can be used to help people in a variety of different ways.
How Do These Drugs Work?
These cognitive enhancing drugs help to improve the way neurotransmitters message the cells in the body. When this function is enhanced, people begin to notice positive effects in their cognitive function, such as:
- Enhanced memory and learning ability
- Improved mood
- Increased motivation and drive
- Increased energy
- Improved concentration and focus
These drugs work to protect the brain against lowered oxygen levels which can dramatically decrease cognition. They also protect the brain against physical and chemical injuries.Through taking this drug, people can assist their brains in functioning at a higher level because the subcortical mechanisms of the brain are enhanced so they become more efficient.
What Types of Drugs are Available for Enhancing Cognitive Function?
There are actually many different types of these drugs though some are more common than others. The type a person will most benefit from will depend on how quickly they need the drug to produce positive effects and whether or not they want a drug that produces long-term effects or short bursts of improvement such as are seen in taking caffeine.
- Piracetam is a racetam that was discovered in 1964. This drug is thought to create an action in the ion channels of the brain. This action leads to an increase in the synaptic transmission response so a person sees a burst of energy fairly quickly. Unfortunately, this drug is not legal in every country, though many other racetams are.
- Aniracetam was first discovered in the 1970s and is considered much stronger than Piracetam. Many people have found taking this racetam helps to improve their anxiety conditions.
- Oxiracetam was first discovered around the same period as Piracetam. This drug acts much faster than Piracetam and gives positive stimulant effects within hours of administration.
- Pramiracetam is considered the strongest of the racetam drugs. This drug gives users experience greater clarity in their thoughts and memory function. Since it offers intense effects, many start off with weaker racetams to see how they help first.
There are also choline supplements, cerebral vasodilators and nerve growth stimulators that are used to improve cognitive function. When these medications are used as intended and directed, they can give a person a greater mental edge than they have ever experienced before. Not only can a person improve their cognitive function, they can also improve their long-term brain health. These drugs help people to learn more efficiently and have a greater memory recall which can improve their life in profound ways.
Leave a Reply